The definition of leadership has long been debated but it is something you know when you see it or experience it. Leadership in times of crisis for a business is critical so that organizations experience as little disruption as possible. Whatever the external factors or circumstances are, strong, consistent and reliable leadership is the best offense any business can deploy.
Demonstrating effective leadership is about fundamentally connecting at a deep level which requires being trustworthy, positive and creative. A leader is ultimately trying to motivate and persuade others to act or move to a desired position or purpose. Leaders must then instinctively demonstrate and exercise skills outside normal or nominal management levels requirements.
Leadership requires calm and skillful active listening, and accessibility. Now is the time amp up these skills so that those you want to lead respond. Brad Sugars, founder and CEO of ActionCOACH held a webinar ‘Crisis Averted’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1oAe8ZDFtE early last week outlining steps businesses should take to prepare for shifting economic times. Resources and business tools were immediately shared with Coaches and Master Licensees worldwide to help them combat panic and distress in the communities and help them lead business owners around the world.
Business coaches worldwide have heard the call and here are examples of what a few ActionCOACHes are doing to ensure businesses in their communities are better prepared during these quickly changing and uncertain times. Walking the walk and talking the talk, leaders act and act quickly and decisively.
Certified Business Coach Kevin Mills (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Master Licensee Kevin Alft from our ActionCOACH Texas team are leading their clients and customers with clear, resolute, solution-based information. They are leading their clients through the crisis by addressing key action steps and strategic plans to keep their businesses as robust as possible. The planning consists of 12 steps;
- Stay “above the point of power” (avoid blaming, providing excuses and negative talk) throughout the next 6-8weeks.
- How to shift the delivery of your products or services?
- How to engage your customers (both medium and message based on the shifts)?
- Different activities or tasks that need to be done daily with these pivots.
- What shifts in how your team works (remotely) are needed?
- Reallocate current talent into these new actives that are required by the business?
- What teaching is needed to be developed for the team with these new activities?
- What daily KPI’s are needed (both activities and results) with this pivot?
- Is there any adjustment needed in the compensation plan based on #8 (bonuses/etc.)?
- How to properly communicate the pivots to past/current/and pipeline customers/prospects?
- What is the WIIFM-focused, USP and marketing script/plan (work it through the formula for change) & which strategies will be implemented to achieve your lead generation commitments for the week?
- How does your business help your customers feel more secure in Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs?
Other areas to consider during this time of uncertainty and change:
- Are you planning to win, or planning not to lose? Games aren’t won with a defense-only strategy, so now is not the time to hunker down and hang on for dear life.
- Panic is contagious, but so is leadership. How do you need to show up as a leader for your team, customers and community?
- Use your unplanned downtime wisely. As more meetings & events get canceled, available time can quickly get absorbed with unproductive busywork and idle chatter.
- Be intentional, and utilize the ‘found time’ for planning, education, and taking forward-thinking action in your business.
ActionCOACH is filled with hundreds of leaders dedicated to the survival of business globally. The company vision of “World abundance through business re-education” is more than just a poster on the wall. It is a mandate that drives the organization forward.
Small business is the lifeblood of most communities and feeds the economy. It is the light of progress and prosperity that gives us all hope. In time of strife, emergencies and crisis leaders stand out and find ways to help others out of the darkness.
To learn more about ActionCOACH or to contact any of these remarkable leaders please email email@example.com. You can also contact your local ActionCOACH business coach at firstname.lastname@example.org.